|USC Legends News|
Brinkley highlights 5 from USC on All-SEC
The five USC players actually account for six positions on the teams since junior Ryan Succop was the coaches' choice as both the second-team kicker and punter.
Succop, a Hickory, N.C., native, hit 16 of 20 field goals last season, and two of those misses were blocks. He hit 37 of 39 extra-point tries. Succop also had a 43.6-yard average on 27 punts.
Brinkley is the Gamecocks' only representative on the first-tier defense or offense. The senior from Thomson, Ga., who spurned the NFL for his final year in Columbia, had a team-high 107 total tackles in his first year after transferring from junior college.
Brinkley's twin brother, Casper, was named to the third-team defense. Interestingly, the coaches selected him as a defensive lineman, even though he'll play alongside his brother at linebacker this fall given the defensive line's depth. Casper Brinkley led the Gamecocks with seven sacks last season.
Tight end Andy Boyd, a second-team pick, was USC's highest offensive selection. Boyd, who has been granted a sixth year of eligibility, is thought to be one of the best mobile blockers in the SEC.
Tailback Cory Boyd was a third-team selection. Boyd accounted for 1,229 total yards as a junior.
Coach Steve Spurrier said recently that he teased both Boyd and receiver Kenny McKinley for flying below the radar in terms of preseason recognition.
"I told Kenny McKinley and Cory Boyd that they forgot about you," Spurrier said of the summer pundits. "They said, 'They don't know we're on the team.' I told them they had a chance to show them this coming season."
That's thematic and symbolic of what Spurrier is telling his entire team. The Gamecocks have been picked by many to finish fourth in the SEC East, but Spurrier is fervent in saying USC has a chance to be a player in the division — and conference-title races.
"We're just raising our goals because we think we can play with everybody," Spurrier said. "Let's not be foolish, but I believe we can. We've got to do it before we say we're there. We're not there by any means. But we believe we've got a chance to be there."
The Gamecocks open fall camp Aug. 4 and begin their season Sept. 1 against Louisiana-Lafayette.
Richardson remains suspended
Freshman football recruit Quintin Richardson remains suspended from all team activities, USC athletic director Eric Hyman said.
"We had some internal miscommunication with Quintin's situation," said Hyman. "His situation will be re-evaluated when the team reports in August."
Richardson was suspended from the team earlier this month after his arrest on a charge of marijuana possession.
The former Spring Valley High standout was arrested at the same Columbia apartment complex where he was stabbed during a fight June 24.
Ellis denied admission
A day after basketball recruit Mike Holmes was admitted to school, USC learned an additional signee, Aaron Ellis, was denied admission to the university.
Ellis, the 6-8, 190-pound forward from Myrtle Beach, had gone to a prep school in Maine to try and make himself eligible. With USC's rising admissions standards, though, it wasn't enough. He is now considering other options, USC said.
"We have exhausted every avenue within the regular admissions process and it was determined that Aaron was just short of university admission standards," USC coach Dave Odom said.
"I feel badly for Aaron for I know he gave a great effort and badly wanted to be at South Carolina. I remain available to help him as he makes decisions about his future."
Odom and his staff had hoped for the same fate as Holmes, the 2007 Mr. Basketball from Bishopville who was officially allowed in Tuesday. The 6-7 forward led Lee County High to back-to-back state titles his junior and senior seasons.
In May, Columbia native Mike Jones' scholarship was not renewed after he failed to maintain his academic standing. Jones was narrowly admitted after he transferred from Syracuse during the middle of the school year this past winter.
OTHER USC FOOTBALL NEWS
USC FOOTBALL NEWS